Please tell me I'm not the only one who has already gone online and to a store to look at girl's clothes. So cute! I've put together my plan for buying clothes for The New Kid and I thought I'd share it in case others were also considering buying clothes for the new baby.
Don't buy new born sizes (NB)
Aidan was 9 lbs when he was born, so he didn't fit the new born items we were given. Babies just grow out of that size too quickly and I would recommend buying things no smaller than 0-3 months.
Warm weather clothes - 0-3 months up to 10 months
The baby is due towards the end of September and it's still going to be pretty hot and humid here. Patrick really likes one piece outfits and rompers. GAP has loads of awesome ones that I will be stalking until they go on sale/clearance. Winter here is about 70 degrees. Heavy clothes will be too much, but little cardigans or light pullovers will work perfectly.
I would recommend buying summer clothes when they go on clearance in August and there will be plenty of time to mail it to us. GAP and Old Navy always seem to be having a sale and I found really good deals last June. The Carter's brand carried at Target is great and has held up well. I actually like the fit of Target Carter's better than the fit of the clothes from the Carter's store. Erin and mom picked up some fabulous outfits for Aidan from a second hand store in Little Rock, so that's another type of shop to consider.
These dresses are super cute: GAP, Old Navy (not the dresses with the large patterns or the DVF line)
Pajamas
Aidan pretty much spent his first month in pajamas, so we'll be stocking up on those. We still have all of Aidan's 0-3 month pajamas, but anything beyond that we need to replace. And if you see some super cute girl pajamas for 0-3 months, we won't say no to them. :) We prefer the footed pajamas with the built in scratch mitts (cuffs that fold over the baby's hands and prevent scratching). However, I've not seen a lot of these in the US. I think Relia gave us a Carter's sleep set that included separate scratch mitts and that worked fine. Patrick is now familiar enough with them that he no longer confuses them for socks.
Buying larger sizes
We were given a few outfits for Aidan that he wouldn't be able to fit until he was two or three. That was fine and actually worked out really well for us. In fact, the first shirt I bought Aidan was a size 3T and he wasn't able to wear it until last summer. If you see something you want to get, for either of the kids but it has to be in a larger size, that's fine. I've actually started buying a few items in the next year's size during the summer to hold us over from March until June. That way we can take advantage of the more affordable options in the States when we stock up on clothes.
No fluorescent colors
Bright colors are fine but fluorescent colors make my eyes hurt. We don't mind if it's just a little bit of fluorescent, but not an entire outfit. Patrick is already avoiding the girl's side of Carter's because it's "blinding".
Hats & Socks
This may seem odd, but we do use hats. The poor kid will probably take after me and be bald for a year. Brimmed hats will be great when we're outside and caps are good for the mall, airports, and school nursery. Socks are almost impossible to find in this country. Any socks, but especially plain white ones, will go a long way.
Not so much pink, please
I'm not saying no to pink, we just don't plan on picking up loads of it.
Swimsuits
Those one pieces with arms and sleeves (they look like surfing suits) are great in theory but awful in real life. The kids look like stuffed sausages and are almost impossible to get out of once wet. I used Aidan's twice, hated it both times, and promptly bought swim trunks. Aidan was 4 months old when we first took him to the pool, so if you want to pick up a swimsuit get something around the 4-6 month or larger range.
OMG! Shoes are so cute!!!
No rules on this one, I'm excited to be able to buy them. Kuwait had nothing in Aidan's size and we couldn't get anything for him until he was almost a year old. It seems stores only carried 3 boy styles and a bazillion girl shoe styles. In fact, I'm so excited about this that Patrick will probably come up with some shoe rules to reign me in.
Other baby items
Not quite sure what we need on this front. We still have all of the major items, I'll have to go through everything and figure out what smaller things we need.
Don't buy new born sizes (NB)
Aidan was 9 lbs when he was born, so he didn't fit the new born items we were given. Babies just grow out of that size too quickly and I would recommend buying things no smaller than 0-3 months.
Warm weather clothes - 0-3 months up to 10 months
The baby is due towards the end of September and it's still going to be pretty hot and humid here. Patrick really likes one piece outfits and rompers. GAP has loads of awesome ones that I will be stalking until they go on sale/clearance. Winter here is about 70 degrees. Heavy clothes will be too much, but little cardigans or light pullovers will work perfectly.
I would recommend buying summer clothes when they go on clearance in August and there will be plenty of time to mail it to us. GAP and Old Navy always seem to be having a sale and I found really good deals last June. The Carter's brand carried at Target is great and has held up well. I actually like the fit of Target Carter's better than the fit of the clothes from the Carter's store. Erin and mom picked up some fabulous outfits for Aidan from a second hand store in Little Rock, so that's another type of shop to consider.
These dresses are super cute: GAP, Old Navy (not the dresses with the large patterns or the DVF line)
Pajamas
Aidan pretty much spent his first month in pajamas, so we'll be stocking up on those. We still have all of Aidan's 0-3 month pajamas, but anything beyond that we need to replace. And if you see some super cute girl pajamas for 0-3 months, we won't say no to them. :) We prefer the footed pajamas with the built in scratch mitts (cuffs that fold over the baby's hands and prevent scratching). However, I've not seen a lot of these in the US. I think Relia gave us a Carter's sleep set that included separate scratch mitts and that worked fine. Patrick is now familiar enough with them that he no longer confuses them for socks.
*********
UPDATE - Old Navy has pajamas with scratch mitts.
They call them "Reversible, turn-cuff handmitts"
*********
Buying larger sizes
We were given a few outfits for Aidan that he wouldn't be able to fit until he was two or three. That was fine and actually worked out really well for us. In fact, the first shirt I bought Aidan was a size 3T and he wasn't able to wear it until last summer. If you see something you want to get, for either of the kids but it has to be in a larger size, that's fine. I've actually started buying a few items in the next year's size during the summer to hold us over from March until June. That way we can take advantage of the more affordable options in the States when we stock up on clothes.
No fluorescent colors
Bright colors are fine but fluorescent colors make my eyes hurt. We don't mind if it's just a little bit of fluorescent, but not an entire outfit. Patrick is already avoiding the girl's side of Carter's because it's "blinding".
Hats & Socks
This may seem odd, but we do use hats. The poor kid will probably take after me and be bald for a year. Brimmed hats will be great when we're outside and caps are good for the mall, airports, and school nursery. Socks are almost impossible to find in this country. Any socks, but especially plain white ones, will go a long way.
Not so much pink, please
I'm not saying no to pink, we just don't plan on picking up loads of it.
Swimsuits
Those one pieces with arms and sleeves (they look like surfing suits) are great in theory but awful in real life. The kids look like stuffed sausages and are almost impossible to get out of once wet. I used Aidan's twice, hated it both times, and promptly bought swim trunks. Aidan was 4 months old when we first took him to the pool, so if you want to pick up a swimsuit get something around the 4-6 month or larger range.
OMG! Shoes are so cute!!!
No rules on this one, I'm excited to be able to buy them. Kuwait had nothing in Aidan's size and we couldn't get anything for him until he was almost a year old. It seems stores only carried 3 boy styles and a bazillion girl shoe styles. In fact, I'm so excited about this that Patrick will probably come up with some shoe rules to reign me in.
Other baby items
Not quite sure what we need on this front. We still have all of the major items, I'll have to go through everything and figure out what smaller things we need.
No comments:
Post a Comment